Saturday, November 17, 2007

A Touch of Romance

“There are people praying for you, Jason,” my friend told me solemnly and honestly. I wondered for a moment why people here would be praying for me in such a serious way. Maybe they thought I was a little edgy for them, a little too secular, a little too North American. Then I wondered if they thought my soul was in danger, perhaps because I listen to Garth Brooks sometimes and have an Anglican prayerbook on my shelf. After thinking some of these things out loud, my friend clarified what she had said, and this time there was no wondering about the meaning of her words. “No, they’re praying for you. Te quiere, literally, they want you – they like you .”

The words hit me like a ton of bricks. “Oh,” I mumbled, much like one mumbles when he is not watching where he is going and walks straight into a wall or corner and there is no where else to go. They want me. They’re praying for me. For a husband. For their husband.
What to think… what to think… what to think… There are a lot of things that come to mind when the idea of marriage, and specifically the idea of my marriage, pops up. And trust me, my being in Paraguay only makes me even more confused and even more uncertain as to what the future holds. Some things I know for sure, though:

1-It’s way too early in my time here to even be worrying about these things.
2-I didn’t come to Paraguay to find a wife. I came to serve God, Opa (Guarani for “it’s finished”), end of story.
3-I appear to most people up North and here, too, to be the perfect eligible bachelor missionary. Not only am I good looking, but I look holy, too.
4- Number 3 is mostly true- I’m eligible, a bachelor, and a missionary. But I’m not so holy or perfect as I act around other people.
5- When I finally get around to dating a girl, it will probably be after a long and serious friendship with her.
6- Be that as it may, number 5 comes only after a lot of prayer and fasting and seeking God’s will.
7-Whoever the girl is will know for sure what my intentions are. If I haven’t said anything to her officially, there’s nothing officially or importantly there.
8-I don’t want to break anyone’s heart -- mine, any girl’s, or God’s.

Casual dating isn’t an option for me in general or in the church here specifically. When people decide to become novio and novia, “boyfriend” and “girlfriend”, in the Paraguayan church, they make a prompt and public social and spiritual commitment to marry each other sometime. Considering the culture, it’s not ironic that in Spanish, novio and novia also mean “groom” and “bride.” Whatever these relationships are, then, they are very quickly announced in front of the church and the plans for a wedding are very soon in the making. It may seem strange, but relationships go from friendships to engagements in one quick and giant (and perhaps sometimes too careless) jump. Dating relationships/engagements are only broken off with much pain and public demonstrations of remorse, and I know already a couple people my age who have had to go through such a well-known and difficult ordeal.

So, I’m certainly in no hurry to jump on the marriage wagon, especially here in Paraguay. I’m waiting on God and doing my best, as the Song of Songs suggests, to leave the passions of my love all alone in peaceful and unaware slumber until the mightily right day when comes the time to awaken and stir them up to life. Until that day, though, I’m an eligible bachelor missionary doing my best not to trample over anyone’s soft and precious heart. I’m treading softly and trying not to show too much interest in any one girl particularly, all the while learning a new language and culture and making new friends and so much more. It seems to me to be a big and dangerous undertaking, so I’d ask you to please pray for me. Just please, I ask you with all my heart, don’t pray for me.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Me thinks the man protesteth too much

Love Dad

Anonymous said...

That's my boy! There's room in your heart for only one woman...your momma! Girls beware, you have to go through me first before you get to him. Dowry registrations can be accepted through my email; Kidding, of course. Stay focused Jason. You have more education waiting for your in the states. That being ssid, I'd love to have grandchildren.

Anonymous said...

...til death do you part...

If you think they take an itsy bitsy engagement seriously, think how they take vows you make in the presence of God. Sort of a dim mirror of how God takes it, eh?

It's your neck, man. Better counsel with the ministers first -- alone.

Suzi H said...

Jason you have your head focused on the right things, so don't worry all will come in due time and as God plans it to be. When it comes, it will be an awesome event when we will get to see it all play before us.

Anonymous said...

I particularly enjoyed the rebuttal of personal piety in #4, especially when juxtaposed against your silence on the Narcissistic assertion of good looks in #3

-Keeping you humble
L-bro

Jason said...

My fellow Jason, this is the single greatest post I've read ever. I'm a bit jealous (no one said they quiered me when I was there), but at the same time I am thankful. I will keep you in prayer. I bet it's kinda tough.

-jason

Anonymous said...

wow, i wish i'd read this before i came... or... while i was still there?? even now, i'm still shaking my head at the craziness of it all. everyone's hearts are still intact down there, right?

Anonymous said...

Jason This is the first time I have read your blog. I am not even good at reading my email. You have been on my heart and my prayers often since you left. I am often concerned for you in regards to the pressure man likes to put on a person especially in regards to finding a wife. Jason keep close to the Lord, seek His face and guard your heart and eyes for truly in His perfect time He will give you the desires of your heart.
..one of your former sunday school teachers