Thursday, October 12, 2006

VA Weekend

Last weekend I had the chance to visit Lynchburg, Virginia with my aunts, Uncle Mike, a couple cousins, and Joey. Aunt Sandy and Aunt Doris, along with Joey and Kata, picked me up Friday afternoon for the trip to south-western Virginia. Our purpose was to visit another cousin, Eric, at Liberty University and then go to the Shenandoah National Park for a church service on the Skyline Drive.

Friday and Saturday the weather was dreary. The fall lived up to its name, with plenty of rain falling from the sky both days. Despite the weather, it was sweet to be with family. Saturday morning we visited Liberty University, where my cousin showed us his dorm (only the guys were allowed inside- the aunts had to peek in from the window). We got a grand tour of the Rev. Falwell’s Christian community in the mountains, along with a look at a museum dedicated to his life, ministry, and politics in one of the campus buildings. Saturday night found us celebrating Joey’s birthday with some tasty Mexican food and a swim in the pool followed by a stint in the sauna and some birthday cake.

Sunday, we left very early for the Skyline Drive. The morning service is organized by the Richmond and Upper Marlboro Apostolic Christian Churches and gives opportunity for ACers from around the U.S. to come and see the spectacular beauty of the Virginia hills. Although I’ve been in DC for three years, this was my first Skyline Drive experience. My expectations were high for the event, though, because my dad had often described his own visits to the mountains decades ago. I can’t say that I was disappointed at all. The leaves up in the hills were brilliant hues of red, orange, and yellow. The vastness of the mountains made me feel very small – certainly a good thing for a fellow with such a big head as I. The drive reminded me of my travels in the Middle East just a few months ago, where the mountains of Judea and Jordan broke up the landscape. It was a privilege to see the same type of rocky beauty in my own American backyard.

The weekend was such a nice time. I lived like a king, being taken out to eat three times a day and being housed at the nicest hotel in Lynchburg. The long hours spent with my family was the most rewarding aspect of the weekend, though, and the time with everyone will do much to tie me over until I go home for Thanksgiving.

In other news, the largest crush of my high school and college years got engaged recently -- to another fellow. I’m happy for the couple, but it’s bittersweet for me. I know that there are other fish in the ocean, but I feel like the ocean is getting smaller day by day. Looking over some emails I wrote to this recently-engaged friend when there was still a prospect for romance between us, I’m forced to eat – with a smile – the words I spoke. “You're a special lady, and deserve the best, no matter where I am at or what our relationship is.” Now I’ve got to mean it.

No comments: